The Tipping point of decisions - Thoughts breed - They literally do!


Are you kidding me?

I wonder why they used the word "breed'", when they wanted to describe the fact that "familiarity breeds contempt". They could have said, "Familiarity gives rise to contempt" or, "familiarity results in contempt", but why, "breed"? I guess that's the power of vocabulary of a language; fascinating, as I think about it.

Thoughts breed, they literally do.

Imagine something which you've wanted to do over a period of time. You weigh the options, and you think about it. You keep thinking and one day you finally decide on it.

That's how I bought my first guitar. I knew nothing about guitars and music. All I wanted to do was to play like the guys played in my favourite bands. I would see these huge concerts on YouTube and imagine myself playing the guitar. But when I wanted to start playing, the uncertainty of my path would make me prevent from making a decision. And on one fine day, it all snapped. I decided.

Let me explain how this tipping point occurred.

Before I learnt to play, there were these thoughts which were very certain that I did not know how to play. Let's consider these thoughts as real life creatures, comprising of opposite sexes, and take a census. Let's assume that their population is 50000. I don’t know, am making things up.

Now, there is this new thought that has entered my mind which wants to play guitar. Let's assume it is a boy thought.  It's all alone out there, feeling lonely. A girl thought from the population of 50000, gets impressed by this thought and marries the boy. Now the ratio of guitar positive to guitar negative thoughts is 2:49999. Now after getting married, these two thoughts make out all night and produce more babies.

Looking at how happy these thoughts are, some more couples of the opposite population also join with this couple. Now that more thoughts are happy, they hump more and produce more babies, cute little cuddly snugly babies.

This starts a whole chain reaction and forms a new group of increasing population of thoughts which favour the guitar. There reaches a time when the ratio shifts in the opposite direction and thus results in the tipping point.

These rules apply to the tipping point of thoughts:

Rule No 1:
It does not matter which one of the two groups of population is right or wrong. What matters is which thought is highly populated. This means that negative thoughts can breed too, something to be exercised with caution.

This dialogue from the movie, Apocalypto clearly says it (these dialogues are awesome, truly awesome):
Flint Sky: Those people in the forest, what did you see on them?
Jaguar Paw: I do not understand.
Flint Sky: Fear. Deep rotting fear. They were infected by it. Did you see? Fear is a sickness. It will crawl into the soul of anyone who engages it. It has tainted your peace already. I did not raise you to see you live with fear. Strike it from your heart. Do not bring it into our village.

Rule No 2:
The amount of reproduction among the respective group of thoughts depends upon the near most evidence of pleasure or pain.


That is why it is always said not to take bigger life changing decisions when you are angry or confused. Though, for some reason, am extremely cynical of this rule. Hmmm, I wonder.

So that's how decisions are made. This whole process struck me so suddenly, that I felt so very euphoric. Explains the importance of why thoughts play such a damn crucial role in shaping our lives. This is kinda like the movie," The secret", explained in a different way.

So, that's the interesting story of how I bought my guitar, if it makes sense, knock yourself out ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thedi Choru - A Translation and a Happy New Year

(Updated!) Xolo Q800 – A review with pros and cons

Best Dialogues from V for Vendetta and their meanings and Quotations